I have another confession, I haven't been much of a reader. Let me see a show of hands for those of you that had to do Accelerated Reader growing up - GAG ME! I made my one and only big fat "F" in 5th grade on those bad boys, and ever since then I've not liked to read. .....Until I passed the CPA exam.
See, I've discovered that I really do enjoy reading, if it is a topic I can relate with. Don't FORCE me to read, because I won't (I SHOWED my teachers!). Around Christmas, I bought some self-help books. I've made it through a few of them. Also, for Christmas, my mom gave me a book which I read in 2 days!!
-----------------
For Those Who Like Business, Accounting, Crazy People or Birmingham, AL - Healthsouth: The Wagon to Disaster
This is a very easy read. It's actually poorly written, but once you get past that, it's captivating. I mean, the CEO of a HUGE company is a complete narcissist, and pretty much crazy. For accountants, the picture paints a true scenario that is the ethical dilemma of a lifetime. And for those from Birmingham, it's really fascinating that one of the largest scandals in time occurred right in our own backyard! It's a must read!
For Those Who Are Single Girls leaping into Step-Motherhood - The Single Girl's Guide to Marrying a Man, His Kids, and His Ex-Wife
So, I never dreamed I'd wake up to find someone who'd ever agree to marry me, much less, allow me to become a stepmother to their child! HELP!! Like previously mentioned, you can see why I sought out many self-help books over Christmas! In searching for books about blended families, all I could find are those that talked about blending your kids with his kids. When I stumbled upon this one, I definitely opted for Express Shipping. I LOVED this book. It tells many stories of women who have been in my shoes. What this book focuses on the most is (1) You better have a good sense of humor and (2) It's NOT about you, so stop taking things so personal!...Umm, I'm still working on it! But, if you know anyone who is in this boat, forget the lovely Place Setting on her registry, buy her this book!
For the kids who are too smart - The King Who Rained
I LOVED this book as a kid. I still have it in my office at home. If you have a child who kinda knows how to spell, this book will drive them CRAZY! See, this book plays off humorous homonyms (I'll wait while you google that...don't feel bad...I found out what it was called on Amazon!).
-----------------
Looking forward to seeing some of yours (unless it is some sappy love story or Twilight!). If you have any good Non-fictions, send them my way!!





Have you read Dan Brown's books??? if you like history and mystery...they're all great reads. My faves were Angels & Demons and Lost Symbol, but he also wrote Da Vinci Code. They're all great.
ReplyDeleteI haven't heard of those! I'll have to look into those!! Thank you for the recommendation!
ReplyDeleteGreat list! I will have to read the HealthSouth book. Thanks for sharing the others. Have a great week!
ReplyDeletehi I have 2 other fred Gwyne books that I love too, so funny you mentioned it, I wanted to tellyou that I liked your blog. I am your newest follower.
ReplyDeletePaige - Thank you so much for visiting and commenting! I hope you will continue to follow! I checked out your blog and I think it's great! I'm a follower now! I especially love your "Sunday Song". I may have to jump on that bandwagon!
ReplyDeleteNf1andprek-whisper - Thank you for following!! I'm excited to have new blog friends on here! This is a great outlet! Which Fred Gywne books do you like? I'd love to add them to my list! Happy Monday!